Sunday, July 03, 2011

My World Cup XV - Left wing

In which the blogger picks the team he wants to represent the All Blacks when they choke compete in the Rugby World Cup in September-October.

11 - Zac Guildford

A confession: I found the second wing one of the hardest positions to fill in my World Cup XV.

Hosea Gear was an automatic choice for one. I just think the guy has all the tools - and he will look bloody good in a Highlanders GREEN jersey next year.

But the other wing? Shee-it.

For a while I had Sitiveni Sivivatu pencilled in. Experienced, elusive etc. But Siti has hardly been on fire for the Chiefs. In fact, when did he last play a really good test for the All Blacks?

I was a big Cory Jane fan last year. But he doesn't have the form, either. Maybe another unhappy Hurricane?

Joe Rokocoko? Maybe. But just seems to be lacking something at this stage of his career. Drive, maybe.

My choice came down to two young Crusaders flyers.

Sean Maitland is a guy I've liked for a couple of years. He's electric when he's on form. But his time will come next year.

I'm going with Guildford. He's bounced back into some top form with the wandering Crusaders. You could argue he's a bit one-dimensional but you could also argue he's fucking quick. And wingers should be quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment