Friday, June 03, 2011

Introduction - Part One

In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit.”

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

The dream is always the same.”

I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being.”

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career.”

So there you go. There are five great openings to five great books or movies. (In order, in case you don't immediately recognise them: The Hobbit; The Bible; Risky Business; Stand By Me; Trainspotting.)

I've let good old J.R.R. Tolkien, er, God, boyish Tom Cruise, the adult Gordy Lachance and Mark F*cking Renton do my introduction for me.

This is my blog. There is really little else to say.

I never thought I'd start a blog. Before I understood their value, I assumed they were the domain of the sad and the lonely. After enlightenment, I doubted I would have (a) the time or (b) the inclination, after writing all day, to come home at night and write some more.

Time remains in relatively short supply – work plus family plus essential television watching and gaming leaves just enough hours for sleep – and may eventually stop this blog in its tracks.

But I need to write something. You don't become a better writer by writing less, which is what I have done since “promotion” three years ago. A colleague – two of them, actually – have often advised me to write at home, write about anything. Sheez, even write a blog.

So here goes. I plan to write at random times about random topics, principally those within all the really important pastimes: you know, like sport and wrestling and gaming and TV.

I'm going to leave out my family (they get name-dropped enough in the ODT) and I'm going to try to leave out the goings-on at work (because I value my job and my family's security too much to risk getting in trouble).

And speaking of work, that's obviously going to remain my No 1 priority. If this blog was a baseball pitcher, it wouldn't have the “best stuff” - that must remain the property of my newspaper. This will be jottings, musings, stupid lists, links to the paper and a whole lot of other junk.

To kick things off, here's a little list of things I like (yeah, yeah, just the trivial stuff; take it as read that my family usurps all):

  • Friday Night Lights (mainly the book and the television series, though the film wasn't bad);
  • Outrageous Fortune (best show we've ever made);
  • Chocolate, in all its forms (but I'd take Cadbury Caramello if I had to choose);
  • Diet Coke (chilled, no ice);
  • John Lennon (and Ian Hart's portrayal of him in the brilliant and criminally overlooked Backbeat);
  • Newspapers (yes, I'm a passionate supporter of a decaying industry);
  • Basketball (the New York Knicks, Indiana, Michigan State, anywhere Mark Dickel plays and the mighty, mighty Tall Blacks);
  • Football (Liverpool, the All Whites, Caversham and kinda the Phoenix);
  • American football (St Louis Rams, Texas and the Permian Panthers);
  • North Otago (it is, and will always be, home);
  • Dai Henwood (New Zealand's second funniest man);
  • The Lord of the Rings (not obsessive, but loved the book and the movies and have a few collectibles);
  • Macho Man Randy Savage (and others, but he was the first);
  • Rugby (first North Otago, then Valley, then Waitaki Boys' High School; like to see the Highlanders and Otago succeed for professional reasons; not really bothered whether All Blacks win World Cup or not);
  • My wife's lasagne, hamburgers, chocolate chip cookies and kebabs;
  • Xbox 360 (beats the PS3 hands down);
  • Fifa 11, Madden 11, NBA 2K11 (seriously, can sports gaming get any better?);
  • The Lego video games (except for the Clone Wars garbage);
  • The Boston Red Sox (for which I have Stephen King to thank);
  • Stephen King (not as passionately now but the books are still on the shelf);
  • Barry Crump (dud husband and father but had a distinctive Kiwi voice);
  • The Penrith Panthers (can name the starting lineup from the 2003 championship team);
  • Queensland (even if State of Origin ain't what it used to be);
  • Scrubs (funny);
  • Arrested Development (funnier);
  • The Big Bang Theory (funniest);
  • Stand By Me (always in my top 4-5 movies of all time);
  • The United States of America (the people, the sport, the food, the showbiz, the landmarks, the lot);
  • Oasis (minus a couple of the weaker albums);
  • Johnny Cash (discovered “locusts and honey” a little late, but got there);
  • South of the Waitaki (had one enjoyable year at polytech in Timaru, and Wellington is quite nice – otherwise the northern regions can break off and drift away);
  • Jaffas (the prince of sweets);
  • Farmers (and farmland, which I miss);
  • Goodbye Pork Pie (Lesley Morris, that'll do me);
  • Cats (just not a dog man at all);
  • Rafael Nadal (have preferred him to Federer since he arrived);
  • Ford (not really into motorsport but am in the blue camp when it comes to Bathurst).

And . . . that is all. No doubt I've missed something but you don't care and I have wasted enough time. (Not work time, you understand; I am on holiday).

Part two of my introduction will be (gasp) a shorter list of things I don't like.

Until then, Happy Green Day! Which I have labelled this uber-momentous occasion of the Highlanders trotting out on to Carisbrook for the last time, clad in their new green jersey for the first (and not last) time.

2 comments:

  1. FIRST!!!! Now I'll go read it in between Jonathon White penalties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the obvious exclusion of my name from the list of things you like, I think I'm going to enjoy this blog. Anticipating the next installment already Mr Meikle ...

    ReplyDelete